Your friends at TTM have been busy behind the scenes creating and testing new and exciting content for Summer School. We’re excited to announce amazing new features that will help students and educators use the program. Among the new features, you’ll find new assessment-type questions designed to prepare students for the rigors of next generation assessments. Also new, comprehensive precursor lessons that provide instruction to any student who needs to rebuild their understanding of basic foundational concepts, such as Tens and Ones and Addition and Subtraction Fact Strategies.
NEW: Fill-in-the-Blank Questions
Think Through Math is committed to providing extensive practice with rigorous next generation assessment-type questions, including multi-step items and tasks based on Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC) and Smarter Balanced Assessment (SBAC) tasks. More than 300 Fill-In-The-Blank (FITB) items have been added to the program and impact 60% of TTM lessons.
NEW: Grade 3 Precursors
The goal of Think Through Math is to accelerate students in grades 3 through Algebra l to grade level. That’s why we’ve added 13 new lessons as precursors to our existing grade 3 lessons, bringing TTM’s lesson total to 213 comprehensive lessons. These lessons will provide remediation with content from grades 1-2 and include:
- Tens and Ones
- Hundreds and Tens
- Comparing Whole Numbers
- Adding and Subtracting 10 and 100
- Addition and Subtraction Strategies
- Adding with Tens and Ones
- Subtracting with Tens and Ones
- Ten More, Ten Less
- Addition and Subtraction Fact Strategies
- Equal Groups
- Understanding Addition and Subtraction
- Relating Addition and Subtraction
- Naming Equal Parts
NEW: Student Dashboard
The feedback we receive from educators and students drives the decisions we make at Think Through Math. The new student dashboards reflect a data-driven redesign that’s based on how students actually use their homepage.
- Contest section has been added to the dashboard.
- Badges now display in a rotating area so the student can easily flip through badges earned.
- Classroom giving has be added to the dashboard.
- Lessons leaderboard has be added to the dashboard.
- Lessons attempted, lessons passed and certificates earned are now indicated on the dashboard.
- Previous, current and next lesson are now indicated on the dashboard.
- A link to a new page has been added that shows students their full pathway with completed, passed or failed indicators.
NEW: Refreshed Learning Coach Presentation
Many virtual learning coaches recently underwent a “makeover” for summer, making them more aesthetically appealing and compelling to TTM students. Additionally, many learning coaches now have a corresponding background image that will appear in the newly redesigned student homepage/dashboard, adding energy and excitement to the experience.
NEW: Auto Logout
After 10 minutes of idle time, students are now presented with a 2-minute countdown timer and an option to continue working or log out immediately. If action is not taken in the 2-minute period, students are automatically logged out of TTM. This functionality is typically in place in similar software programs. The benefit, of course, is that data will more accurately reflect the time students actually spent on the system, as opposed to the time they were on TTM and maybe in the restroom or working in a small group.
NEW: Charity Donations Made Simple
TTM students love to give to their classrooms and charitable causes, and now we’ve made it easy for them on their redemption page.
- Students are now able to give to their classroom with a single click.
- The classroom giving section layout has been updated to match the charities tab and to keep consistency across the site.
- When attempting to donate, an indicator has been added to let students know if they don’t have points to do so.
NEW: Improved Student Messaging
TTM is improving communication tools between teachers and students. As a first step, the student messaging experience has been improved by applying current best practices for front-end design and presentation of content.
- Unread messages now display a sealed envelope icon and a “NEW” indicator next to the message title.
- Read messages now display an opened envelope icon.
- Hovering over a message title/subject line changes the container to yellow to indicate click-ability.
- Clicking the title or subject line opens the message on the page with a slide down animation.
- Clicking the title or subject line again closes the message.
NEW: Improved TTM Layout, Branding, Colors
Thanks to great input from clients (and a school-year’s worth of data), we’ve spent a considerable amount of time improving the presentation of the student-facing TTM product. Improvements include the following:
- Wrapper for the dashboard pages and lesson player now reflect TTM branding and colors.
- Individual page styles better match TTM Branding and colors.
- Navigation tab color and icons has been changed to better match branding.
- New messages indicator with a red circle indicating the number of new messages.
- Avatars across the site now display full avatars instead of just thumbnails.
- Badge level names have been changed to Bronze, Silver, Gold and Diamond.
Coming for Back to School
Through the summer months, Think Through Math is focused on rolling out new dashboards for administrators and teachers that will provide maximum transparency to data. This will include data snapshots and clear visual representations of the data. Look for more information in the next newsletter!