Integrated Math Series Provides Alternative to Traditional High School Math Progression
Think Through Learning, creators of Think Through Math (TTM), the award-winning instructional system for grades 3 and above, announced today the newest release in its integrated high school math series – Math II. Designed for states and districts that utilize an integrated approach to math instruction, the Math II curriculum builds upon TTM’s Math I module, by combining elements of traditional Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II courses.
Embraced by schools across the country, TTM combines rigorous adaptive instruction, a powerful motivation system, and live, on-demand tutoring from state-certified US math teachers to support students’ mastery of math concepts. Think Through Math’s teachers tutor students through a two-way interactive whiteboard — the ideal tool to help them grasp the visual nature of many complex mathematical concepts. The TTM program then builds and strengthens conceptual understanding by having students explore math relationships using multiple kinds of visual representations. To further promote sustainable learning gains, Think Through Math’s lessons include a wide variety of interactive item types, ensuring students are well prepared for the more sophisticated test items being used on state-level assessments.
The TTM Math I curriculum focuses on first-year high school math concepts; Math II takes students to the next level of high school math proficiency, including advanced concepts such as:
- Classifying rational, irrational, real and complex numbers
- Comparing and contrasting quadratic functions
- Solving quadratic equations and using quadratic functions to model and solve problems
- Calculating and interpreting probabilities of compound, mutually exclusive, independent and conditional events
- Exploring similarity through dilations and proportional reasoning
- Observing and justifying geometric relationships
“Many states offer separate Algebra I and Geometry courses in 9th and 10th grade, while several states have transitioned to an alternative approach, in which algebra and geometry content is integrated into a single curriculum,” said Sara Byrne, Director of Curriculum at Think Through Math. “This integrated approach to math learning helps to provide students with an understanding of the relationships between seemingly disparate math concepts and how those concepts are applicable to everyday life scenarios.”
TTM’s Math I pathway builds on students’ experiences in middle grades math and introduces new concepts focusing on:
- Algebraic expressions, linear equations and inequalities
- Function notation
- Linear and exponential functions, including arithmetic and geometric sequences
- Linear models
- Triangle congruence and geometric relationships
- Geometric figure properties in the coordinate plane
While often used as an intervention program for struggling students, Think Through Math’s adaptive learning technology effectively addresses the unique learning needs of every student, including English Language Learners (ELL), those with advanced math aptitude, and students with learning disabilities. Audio support for TTM lessons is available in both English and Spanish, and bilingual tutors are available as well.